WEST COAST LINE: NEW INTERCONNECTOR TO GERMANY
Together with the German TSO TenneT, Energinet expands the trading capacity between Denmark and Germany by connecting the German and the Danish part of the West Coast Line. On the Danish side, Energinet builds a new double circuit 400 kV overhead line from the substation Endrup to the Danish-German border.
The expansion of the interconnection capacity between Denmark and Germany is related to Viking Link – a 1400 MW interconnector between Denmark and Great Britain, which will be commissioned by the end of 2023. With the realization of Viking Link, it is necessary to have instant back up capacity in the Danish power system in case of failure on Viking Link. The new line to Germany will guarantee that reserve power can be retrieved in central Europe immediately.
The new power line will also increase the trading capacity between Denmark and Germany.
Important project for Europe
The new interconnector between Denmark and Germany is on the EU list of important infrastructure projects contributing to the interconnection of the European electricity networks, the so-called Projects of Common Interest (PCI).
• The interconnector is established as a double circuit 400 kV overhead line. In environmentally sensitive areas, the line is established with cables in the ground.
• The interconnector goes from the substation Endrup east of Esbjerg and to the German border.
• The power line is approx. 75 km long.
A construction project can have the following project status:
- Achievable The construction project, which is part of the long-term planning of the electricity or gas network, but which has not yet been decided in Energinet.
- Planned A Construction project, which has been decided in Energinet, but which has not yet been investment approved by the Ministry of Climate, Energy and Supply.
- Approved A construction project which has received all relevant investment approvals and which is realized when environmental and planning permits have been obtained.
- In operation A Construction project that has been taken into operation within the past year.